What is RPL (VÕTA in Estonian)?
RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) is the process whereby an institution assesses the
competence of an applicant based on specific criteria- how the applicant’s
knowledge, skills and attitudes adhere to the learning outcomes of the
curriculum or its part(s). If the applicant’s competence corresponds to these
requirements, they will be taken into account in the fulfillment of the
THE GOAL OF RPL IS:
- to value the competency of a person and provide equal opportunities for assessing and acknowledge it, regardless of the time, place and manner of acquiring the knowledge and skills;
- support lifelong learning and flexibility between the education system and the labour market as well as within these.
WHO NEEDS RPL AND BENEFITS FROM IT?
The recognition of prior studies and professional
experience may be useful to people who wish to:
- continue interrupted studies;
- consciously plan further careers;
- change curricula/majors (also within a school);
- apply fo recognition of knowledge that has been acquired informally through work or leisure activities.
RPL MAKES IT POSSIBLE TO CONSIDER:
- prior studies in educational institutions;
- knowledge and skills acquired through additional training or independent studies;
- knowledge and skills acquired through professional and other experience.
RPL PRIMARILY CONSIDERS HOW THE CONTENT OF PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OR
SKILLS COMPLIES WITH A CURRICULUM. ONLY THOSE COMPETENCIES THAT CORRESPOND TO
THE LEARNING OUTCOMES OF THE CURRICULUM AND SUBJECT OR MODULE IN QUESTION CAN
THE ROLE OF RPL IN OBTAINING AN EDUCATION
RPL provides more flexible opportunities for obtaining an
education. RPL enables people to:
- finish studies faster and improve their position on the labour market;
- make optimal use of the resources of an educational institution or employer;
- use personal, social and economic potential more efficiently;
- plan their career and studies with greater awareness.
For instance, with RPL you can pass a subject or modulebased on
earlier studies if you have passed a similar course in another educational
institution or as part of additional training.
RPL ASSESSMENT BY AN EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTION OR PROFESSIONAL BODY
- not the experience itself, but what has been learned from it;
- knowledge, skills, competence, including the ability to generalise and apply the knowledge;
- correspondence to the subject, module, curriculum goals and learning outcomes or professional standards;
- the ability to cope at the specified level.
If necessary, the person or committee assessing the applicant may
request additional documents, conduct an interview, assign a practical task,
BEFORE APPLYING FOR THE RECOGNITION OF PRIOR STUDIES AND
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE, THE APPLICANT MUST CONDUCT A SELF-ANALYSIS AND COMPILE
AND COLLECT EVIDENCE.