Exchange Studies at EKA
We welcome you to study at the Estonian Academy of Arts (EKA) as an exchange (from partner university) or a guest student during one or two semesters!
Please find detailed application information below.
All departments at the EAA accept exchange students, although most of the study programmes are officially in Estonian language. Exchange students are offered practical specialty courses, where the teachers can guide in English. In addition we offer theoretical and practical electives in English (the list of courses is confirmed before the beginning of the semester).
The general study information (including list of specialties) is available here:
Please note there might be changes in the study plan before the semester.
International degree programmes (available also for exchange students) are described here: https://www.artun.ee/masters/
BEFORE APPLYING please note the details about intake in different departments:
– Faculty of Design: MA level applications are only accepted for autumn semester; BA level applications are accepted for both semesters;
– Animation department accepts only MA level applications for only autumn semester or for the full academic year;
– Interior Architecture accepts students on MA level (exceptionally BA 3rd year) and for Autumn semester/Full year only;
– Architecture and Urban Planning accepts students on MA level only;
– Faculty of Fine Arts evaluates the applications at the faculty meeting and accepts max 10 students per semester to the whole faculty. A list of mediums available in the upcoming semester will be provided to the selected students prior the beginning of semester.
– Art History is a theoretical programme only in Estonian language. It’s possible to apply if your aim is to carry out individual research.
– Conservation and Cultural Heritage programme is largely theoretical programme and lectures are only in Estonian language. Acceptance depends on your practical interests and possibilities to offer suitable practical courses.
ALL DEPARTMENTS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SELECT THE EXCHANGE STUDENTS BASED ON PORTFOLIO AND/OR MOTIVATION LETTER.
Semester dates 2018/2019:
1st semester: August 27 – January 27 (actual finish for exchange students is December 21)
2nd semester: January 28 – June 21 (actual finish for exchange students is May 24)
Estonian Academy of Arts operates in ECTS system.
Grading is in the scale A-F (“A“ – excellent – “F“ – insufficient) or Pass/Fail.
Important!!! Please note that most of the practical courses and electives in English are assessed as Pass/Fail and it cannot be changed individually for students who need grades (A-F).
NOTE FOR EXCHANGE APPLICANTS:
First you should contact your home university coordinator who will have to send a nomination e-mail to email@example.com.
After nomination by your home university, please fill in the online application form and send your documents and portfolio link to the International Office according to these deadlines:
- May 1 (for autumn semester and the whole academic year)
- October 15 (for spring semester)
- Online application form – has to be filled in and submitted ONLINE (no paper version needed).
- Portfolio – some images of your recent work or examples of your recent projects. Please send it electronically – a web link (you can upload files in google docs or similar; has to be accessible without any log-in-procedure!) could be added already in the online application form or sent to firstname.lastname@example.org together with your document files. NB! Please do not send portfolio files as attachment, only a web link.
- Motivation letter – about 1 A4 page (typed), in English.
- Transcript of Records in English – official and signed document showing the courses you have passed & your study results so far.
- Copy of your Passport or ID Card
- Certificate of knowledge of English language (min B2 level). It may be issued by your home institution if they have sufficient knowledge about your language level.
NOTE: Due to small study groups, the EAA reserves the right to choose incoming students based on portfolio and motivation letter.
The International Office will notify the applicants about acceptance/denial within a month.
READ THE EXPERIENCE ABOUT EKA, ARRIVING TO TALLINN AND ESTONIANS FROM OUR EXCHANGE AND FULL-TIME INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Here are four experiences from the exchange students (titles by the students themselves):
and here are two experiences from our full-time international students:
The Estonian Academy of Arts participates in Erasmus+ programme and has been awarded with the Erasmus Charter
Erasmus code: EE TALLINN01
PIC CODE: 955368327
The exchange students from our partner universities (ERASMUS+, Nordplus or on the basis of bilateral agreements) are not obliged to pay tuition fees for their studies. However, the students who apply to the Estonian Academy of Arts from the universities, which are not our partner institutions, are requested to pay tuition fees according to the cost of a credit point at the EAA, which remains between 64€ and 128€.