The goals of the animation curriculum are:
- To provide an academic education in animation, and training for work as a director of animated films, or as a member of the creative team in an animation studio
- To create a systematic concept of the nature of animated films, and of the application possibilities of animated films as a specific media form
- To prepare students for scientific research in the field of animation
- To teach practical skills for working in fields related to animated films: scriptwriting, editing, film sound recording, screen graphics, illustration, caricature
- To create a new academic generation for schools of higher education in Estonia abroad
What skills will I acquire?
- The capability to successfully work in the field of animation as a scriptwriter, artist or director
- The ability to work in an animation studio as a member of a creative team and/or its director
- The ability to conduct academic research in the field of animation
- The ability to work in fields related to animated films: scriptwriting, editing, film sound recording, screen graphics, illustration, caricature
- Upon completion of the programme, the ability to successfully continue studies at other universities and educational institutions.
What jobs will be available after I graduate?
- Director of animated films
- Artist of animated films
- Scriptwriter of animated films
- Web designer
- Puppet maker / set designer
Every BA student makes 2 short animated films in 3 years. During the first 3 semesters a classical drawn animation is made alone, mainly supervised individually. During the second study year students start making a puppet film in groups of 2-4, it will be finished during the last school year. In both films the student will experience all the different stages of animated film production from the idea till finished file. In the films it is not allowed to use dialogue or voiceover, in order to teach how to tell your story mainly in image but also with sound.
MA in EAA Animation is international and in English. Every student makes 2 short animated films in 2 years, of which one is the graduation film. They are free to choose the technique of animation, but have to be the scriptwriter, director and artist of the film. It is allowed to use technical help, if possible.