Who Can Apply
The interaction design program is open to anyone who is passionate about design. No previous professional experience or degree in design is necessary — we value diversity and our students come from very different places and backgrounds.
- 1900 Euros per semester (for citizens of EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein; Turkey, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Russia and Switzerland)
- 5900 Euros per semester (for citizens of non-EU countries)
- For international applicants: 1 March — 2 May, 2019 via DreamApply
- For Estonian applicants: 1 March — 2 May, 2019 via Sais
- 50€ application fee
- Bachelor’s degree
- Official transcript of records
- Proof of English proficiency. More information: https://www.artun.ee/en/admissions/masters/language-skills/
- Copy of the data page of your passport or ID card
- Display of previous experiences
- Motivational letter
- Admission assignment
Applicant’s CV should contain following information:
- Personal and contact information about the student candidate.
- Overview of candidate’s education. Candidate’s higher educational facility, field of study, degree earned and the theme of the graduation work/project should be highlighted.
- Work experience, including name of the employer, the job title and description of the candidate’s responsibilities at any listed job.
- Language skills
- Computer and software skills
- Other general activities, hobbies, interests.
Display of Previous Experiences
- Your display of previous experience should contain a few samples of work, showing your past and present experience, and professional capabilities. Design projects, web projects, articles, abstracts of scientific work, short descriptions of business and development projects, etc. can be included. Basically, we want to see what you’ve been doing in your previous life, how you think and solve problems.
- Each sample should be shortly described. In case of team projects, your contribution should be clearly stated.
- The document should be presented in PDF-format or as a web portfolio.
- In case of PDF, the file size must not exceed 20 MB. Feel free to use any file download service (WeTransfer, DropBox, etc).
- If you add web links (pointing to web projects, articles, etc.) please make sure the links actually work.
- To submit your display of previous experiences, please send a url or download link by the end of the application period to email@example.com
A short essay should be digitally presented (in English, maximum 4600 letters including spaces) elaborating on following themes:
- How do you see the present and the future of interaction design, and how do you see your role in this.
- What do you hope to learn during the Master’s Program?
- What would you like to do after the completion of your studies?
Based on applicant’s motivational letter and the required set of documents the eligible candidates will receive an admission assignment. The assignment (a description of a problem) will be sent to the applicants via e-mail by an agreed-upon time and is to be completed in one hour. Solution to the problem may be presented in the form of a text and/or images. In case of images, an explanatory text must be added. Applicants who complete the assignment successfully will be invited to the interview.
- The interview will be conducted in real time via Internet (Skype). The exact interview time for each applicant will be announced to him/her via e-mail and SMS.
- The exam board will ask additional questions of the applicant based on the presented documents, the motivation letter and the admission assignment. The questions may also refer to candidate’s work experience, etc. Applicant’s motivation and knowledge of the general matters of interaction design will be tested.
- The admission deadline: 2 May 2019
- Online assignment: 13–22 May 2019
- Interviews: 13–22 May 2019
- Admissions will be announced no later than: 24 May 2019
- Declining or accepting studies must be stated no later than: 31 May 2019
Do I need to be a designer to apply?
No, it’s quite the opposite! We at IxD.ma value interdisciplinary diversity and specifically admit people with various backgrounds to assemble an unique team each year. Project managers, computer scientists, product and fashion designers, marketers, teachers, researchers — these are just a few examples of people we have had the honour of working with so far. Peer to peer teaching is an important part of the studies in IxD.ma, each member complements the team with their unique background, skills, and a point of view. The one common denominator we do look for, is passion for design.
What is a “Display of previous experiences?”
While your CV tells us where and who you have been, the collection of works should show us what you have been doing there. It can be a portfolio, a short list of projects, essays, software… Basically, we want to see what you’ve been up to so far in your professional life, what kind of problems you’ve been tackling, and how you have gone about to solve them.
Are there any scholarships available?
Yes, there are a few options available:
- Each semester, we grant a scholarship covering the full amount of their tuition fee to one team member, based on performance.
- Archimedes Estonia offers 350€ a month scholarship for international students, see more here.
- For Estonian citizens and residents, EKA provides numerous smaller stipends based on performance, needs and other criteria.
Can I see the students' work somewhere?
Will I get a job after graduation?
You’ll probably get one before graduation. A well-paying one that allows you to pursue your passion. In addition to the mastery and experience gained during studies, we’ll put great emphasis on building up your strong, globally competitive portfolio. Fun fact: most of our team members have changed their jobs and taken higher positions during their studies.
Should I apply?
Absolutely! Do it now, there’s only so much time left!