MA programme admission information
The admission deadline for international applicants is February 29, 2020.
Admission assignment will take place on March 16–17, 2020 via e-mail. Admission interview will be held on March 23, 2020 from 10am to 5pm at EKA room A303 or via Skype.
WHO CAN APPLY? The interaction design program is open to anyone who is passionate about design. No previous professional experience or degree in design is necessary — we value diversity and our students come from very different places and backgrounds.
- Application (submitted through Dream Apply/Sais between 01.–29.02.2020)
- 50€ application fee (paid via bank transfer)
- Copy of your Bachelor’s degree certificate or equivalent and its translation into Estonian, English or Russian (both, copies and translations have to be attested by notary).
- Copy of your Transcript of Records (and translation into Estonian, English or Russian; both copy and translation must be attested by notary).
- Certificate of foreign language skills (attested copy), see the requirements HERE
- Copy of the data page of your passport or ID-card
- Tuition fee: 2500 Euros per year (for citizens of EU, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein; Turkey, Georgia, Ukraine, Belarus, Moldova, Russia and Switzerland), 3900 Euros per year (for citizens of non-EU countries)
- Short essay (max 4600 letters including spaces) elaborating on the following themes:
- How do you see the present and the future of interaction design, and how do you see your role in this.
- What do you hope to learn during the Master’s Program?
- What would you like to do after the completion of your studies?
- Display of Previous Experiences (PDF or web portfolio, max 20MB)
- Your display of previous experience should contain a few samples of work, showing your past and present experience, and professional capabilities. Design projects, web projects, articles, abstracts of scientific work, short descriptions of business and development projects, etc. can be included. Basically, we want to see what you’ve been doing in your previous life, how you think and solve problems.
- Each sample should be shortly described. In case of team projects, your contribution should be clearly stated.
- Feel free to use any file download service (WeTransfer, Dropbox, etc).
- If you add web links (pointing to web projects, articles, etc.) please make sure the links actually work.
ASSESSING CRITERIA The portfolio will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Relevance of applicant’s works towards the content of the MA course (40%)
- The extent and quality of the applicant’s work experience (40%)
- Presentation skills (20%)
Evaluating the essay the following criteria will be taken into account:
- Relevance of applicant’s thoughts towards the content of the MA course (60%)
- Skills of written analysis and argumentation (20%)
- Skills of written English language (20%)
ADMISSION ASSIGNMENT Based on applicant’s motivational letter and the required set of documents the eligible candidates will receive an admission assignment. The assignment (a description of a problem) will be sent to the applicants via e-mail by an agreed-upon time and is to be completed in two hours. Solution to the problem may be presented in the form of a text and/or images. In case of images, an explanatory text must be added. Applicants who complete the assignment successfully will be invited to the interview. Evaluating the admission assignment the following criteria will be taken into account:
- Relevance of the solution towards the content of the MA course (50%)
- Novelty and innovativeness of the solution (25%)
- Presentation skills (25%)
INTERVIEW The exam board will ask additional questions of the applicant based on the presented documents, the motivation letter and the admission assignment. The questions may also refer to candidate’s work experience, etc. Applicant’s motivation and knowledge of the general matters of interaction design will be tested. The interview will be conducted in real time via Internet (Skype). The exact interview time for each applicant will be announced to him/her via e-mail and SMS. Evaluating the interview the following criteria will be taken into account:
- Relevance of applicant’s thoughts towards the content of the MA course (50%)
- Knowledge of the Interaction Design field (25%)
- Oral presentation and communication skills (25%)
Do I need to be a designer to apply?
No, it’s quite the opposite! We at IxD.ma value interdisciplinary diversity and specifically admit people with various backgrounds to assemble an unique team each year. Project managers, computer scientists, product and fashion designers, marketers, teachers, researchers — these are just a few examples of people we have had the honour of working with so far. Peer to peer teaching is an important part of the studies in IxD.ma, each member complements the team with their unique background, skills, and a point of view. The one common denominator we do look for, is passion for design.
What is a “Display of previous experiences?”
While your CV tells us where and who you have been, the collection of works should show us what you have been doing there. It can be a portfolio, a short list of projects, essays, software… Basically, we want to see what you’ve been up to so far in your professional life, what kind of problems you’ve been tackling, and how you have gone about to solve them.
Are there any scholarships available?
Yes, there are a few options available:
- Archimedes Estonia offers 350€ a month scholarship for international students, see more here.
- For Estonian citizens and residents, EKA provides numerous smaller stipends based on performance, needs and other criteria.
- Many of our students are financing their studies with scholarships given by institutions in their home countries.
Can I see the students' work somewhere?
Will I get a job after graduation?
You’ll probably get one before graduation. A well-paying one that allows you to pursue your passion. In addition to the mastery and experience gained during studies, we’ll put great emphasis on building up your strong, globally competitive portfolio. Fun fact: most of our team members have changed their jobs and taken higher positions during their studies.
Should I apply?
Absolutely! Do it now, there’s only so much time left!