Language skills

Estonian Academy of Arts accepts the following international language tests as proof of English language proficiency. Here are the minimum requirements set by the academy:

— TOEFL ITP: min 543

TOEFL iBT: min 72 

IELTS (Academic or Indicator): min 5.5 (with at least 5.5 in each component)

FCE (Cambridge English: First): required minimum result for B2 is 160

CAE (Cambridge English: Advanced): C1 level

CPE (Cambridge English: Proficiency): C2 level

PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic: min 59

— International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme (English A, English B, English Literature and Performance) final exam grade at least 5
— European Baccalaureate Diploma Language 1 or Language 2: positive score in the final English exam

NB! We accept language certificates for up to two years after they are issued.

State exams in English taken in Estonia, Finland or Latvia:

— Estonian state exam in English: required minimum level is B2 (state exams taken between 1997 and 2013, 66 points or higher)
— Finnish Matriculation Examination (ylioppilastutkinto) in English (long course): at least cum laude approbatur
— Latvian state exam in English (centralizētais eksāmens): at least 70%

— English language test offered by the Estonian Academy of Arts. The minimum level required is B2. The test will take place on 06.03.2024 at the Estonian Academy of Arts. NB! This test is organised for applicants who have an Estonian ID, and prior registration is required. In order to register for the test, please send your contact info (full name, email, phone number) to 


English proficiency test may only be waived if the applicant meets one of the following requirements:

– The applicant has completed their secondary education, bachelor’s or master’s degree taught fully in English in one of the following countries: EU/EEA member states, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or United Kingdom. The applicant must have resided in the mentioned country while doing their studies. Please also note that the transcript of records must include that studies were conducted fully in English.

– The applicant has studied for at least one academic year as a full-time student (obtaining a minimum of 45 ECTS with positive results) in English in an institution of higher education in one of the following countries: EU/EEA member states, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand or United Kingdom.

NB! We will only accept certificates issued by educational institutions if the waiver criteria is met.