The 2021/22 admissions process will open from 01.02. – 01.03.2021.
- Application submitted through Dream Apply (for international applicants) and SAIS (for Estonian applicants) between February 1st and March 1, 2021
- 50€ application fee (paid via bank transfer)
- Copy of your Bachelor’s degree certificate or equivalent and its translation into Estonian or English (both, the copies and translations have to be attested by notary).
- Copy of your transcript of records (and translation into Estonian or English; both copy and translation must be attested by notary).
- Certificate of foreign language skills, see the requirements HERE
- Copy of the data page of your passport or ID-card
- Tuition fee: 1200 Euros per year (for both EU and non-EU candidates)
- CV (max 3 pages)
- Sample of your previous work
- Architecture / Urban Design portfolio (single PDF document, max 20 pages and 12 MB)
- or Writing sample (single PDF document, max 6000 words)
- or combined sample of your design and written work
- Motivation letter (max 500 words) explaining why do you want to study in the program and how you understand the terms “city”, “urbanism”, and “urbanization”. How does your education/experience prepare you for the program? How would you benefit from, and contribute to, the program? Discuss.
Suitable MSc candidate has a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent qualification in architecture, landscape architecture, geography, construction, art history, sociology, urban planning, political science, or other arts & humanities fields.
The selection process has two rounds. First, the candidates are evaluated on the basis of their CV, previous study performance, motivation letter, and architectural/urban design portfolio or/and writing sample. Shortlisted candidates are then invited for an interview.
In the second round, in-depth interviews are conducted with prospective candidates.
Depending on their previous education/experience, the candidates present an architecture/urban design portfolio, or/and a writing sample (realized/published work is not required, but is an advantage) in a field relevant to urban studies (architecture, urbanism, urban planning, geography, sociology, political sciences, art history, etc.).
Your application should demonstrate intellectual curiosity and an imaginative grasp of the urban question. We require that the candidates have a strong academic record, and a clear idea how their education and experience have prepared them for the urban studies program. They will display that they can think independently and work collaboratively, and pursue studies across urban theory and design. It is necessary to have a good command of English language.