The focus of the Design Research Group is placed on the conduct of academic research that utilizes the research through design approach, the results of which include not only new or enhanced knowledge applicable to design practice but also tangible prototypes or workflow frameworks as evidence of theoretical findings.
The research areas undertaken by the research group members consist of but are not limited to:
- Intersection of craft and science/technology/HCI
- Smart textiles, wearables, e-textiles and use of new materials
- Meaning making and cultural production of design artefacts
- Sustainability, not only environmental sustainability but social and cultural sustainability, as well as circular economy
- Application of design thinking in other fields, e.g. business, public sectors, arts, etc., to tackle complex challenges