Based on submitted documents the commission will make the decision who will be invited to the interview.
Admission interviews will take place in Aprill 2023.
18 April – Cultural Heritage and Conservation
19 April – Architecture and Urban Planning
20 April – Art History and Visual Culture
26 April – Art and Design
The requirement for admission to doctoral studies is a Master’s degree or other equivalent qualification. Educational certificates issued abroad are recognised by Estonian Academy of Arts on the basis of the assessments and opinions of the Estonian ENIC/NARIC Centre.
NB! Students graduating in the spring of 2023 who are unable to submit proof of education by the deadline must submit the latest document with their current grades to apply. Documents proving graduation (diploma and transcript) must be submitted by the end of June 2023 at the latest. For additional questions, write to email@example.com.
Nominal duration of doctoral studies is four years and study load is 240 ECTS.
Please read about the status and funding of PhD students HERE.
The Estonian Academy of Arts offers following PhD level programmes for international applicants:
– CV (please find the form from here)
– portfolio or defended Master’s Thesis
For a creative doctoral thesis a portfolio (including a defended master’s thesis if you wish), for a text-based doctoral thesis defended master’s thesis.
– motivation letter
– proposal of the doctoral thesis (form for Art and Design here /form for Architecture and Urban planning here)
– academic CV of the prospective supervisor (s). Having a supervisor is not a prerequisite for applying. The supervisor must have given his or her consent to submit his/her CV. If the supervisor works in Estonian Academy of Arts the CV is not required
The exam result will be based on the interview, PhD thesis project and portfolio or defended MA thesis. Only selected candidates will be invited to the interview (in the period of 17.– 30.04.2023)
Application documents will be processed only after we have received all the required documents and the payment of the application fee.
Verification of English skill with international language tests:
Minimum requirements set by EKA:
— TOEFL ITP: min 543
— TOEFL iBT: min 72
— IELTS (Academic or Indicator): min 5.5 (with at least 5.5 in each component)
— FCE (Cambridge First Certificate in English): minimum required result is 160 for the B2 exam
— CAE (Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English): C1 level
— CPE (Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English): C2 level
— PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English Academic: min 59
— English language test offered by the Estonian Academy of Arts. Minimum B2 level is required. The test will take place on 08.03.2023 in Estonian Academy of Arts, Tallinn. Registration is required by sending your contact info (full name, email, phone number) to firstname.lastname@example.org. NB! Only applicants who have submitted their application in SAIS can register for the test.
— Estonian state exam in English – minimum required result is B2 level (for exams taken in 1997-2013 66 points or higher);
Please see more info about language requirements HERE
NB! International PhD applicants
• who have completed their previous study level in Estonia;
• who are about to graduate from an institution in Estonia;
• who have completed their previous studies abroad but have confirmed their educational certificates with ENIC/NARIC Centre may apply via SAIS 01.02.– 31.03. 2023 and they are exempt from application fee.
Coordinator of doctoral studies
phone: +372 53 068 909
Phone: +372 6267 305
Põhja puiestee 7, D206