Academic Leave and Extension

Every student has the right to take a student leave once during the entire period of studies starting from the second semester. You can go on academic leave at your own request for up to one year. If you have taken the academic leave for a shorter period (for one semester), you can apply for the extension of the leave for up to one year before the expiry of the leave.

The application for academic leave on one’s own accord can be submitted twice a year before the start of the semester pursuant to the deadline set in the academic calendar. When students are on voluntary student leave, they are not covered by health insurance!

In addition to voluntary student leave, students have the right to go on student leave:

  • to take care of a child, until the child is 3 years old;
  • for up to two years, for health reasons;
  • for one year, to serve in the Defence Forces.

A copy of the corresponding child’s birth certificate, doctor’s certificate or the draft notice must be attached to the application.
The application forms are available from the website.

When taking student leave, application must be submitted through ÕIS

The deadlines for submitting applications for student leave are indicated in the academic calender. 

Student leaves end automatically. If a student wishes to end a leave prematurely, the corresponding application must be made to the Study Specialist.

In the case of students who go on academic leave at a point when they have been studying for half of the semester or more, the given semester is considered as part of the attended studies and the student is obligated to compensate the tuition costs for this semester.

For that reason, students are advised to choose either a semester or academic year as their period of academic leave, this is the optimum way to continue studies placed on hold for the duration of the academic leave.

Students are ineligible to apply for student loans during academic leave. In addition, study allowance is not paid to students on academic leave.

Note! Academic leave interrupts a residence permit.



Students will have the right to attend courses during their academic leave. For that you have to submit a list of subjects before the beginning of semester with your application through ÕIS. Application form is here 

Fee-paying students can attend studies during their academic leave only to eliminate their academic arrears. There is no fee for the elimination of academic arrears.

Students studying in a fee-paying student place are exempt from the payment of the tuition fee.

Students who go on academic leave for health reasons do not have the right to take part in academics or to sit for examinations and other tests. The Academy cancels declarations made in the Study Information System (ÕIS) for students going on academic leave.


Students can apply to extend their studies for a maximum of two semesters (12 months) in case the student has not completed the curriculum 100% by the end of the standard period of studies. In this way, the study time does not increase, and the student is considered to have exceeded the standard study period. Students can apply to extend their studies by the deadline indicated in the academic calendar.

Extension of studies costs 500 euros per semester.