The Department of Animation was established at the Estonian Academy of Arts in 2006 and offers a two-year MA in Animation (taught in English). The main goal of the programme is to successfully educate creators of animated films, providing them with theoretical knowledge and practical skills. The further aim is to contribute to the global development of animation as an art form.
Animation is a thriving medium and developing at a greater pace than ever before. Animation has become part of mass culture, and one of its principal forms. Animation can be seen in digital screen graphics, computer games, music videos, films, etc. The basis for any film – including animated film – is the story. The greatest problem in the film world is the lack of good stories. In most of the world’s animation schools, students are not taught the art of good story writing. This is something that sets the Academy’s Department of Animation apart. We place an emphasis on the story and creating film scripts.
- The studies are conducted as lectures, seminars and master classes, as well as individual and tutorial classes. Generally, tutorial classes make up 60% to 70% of the curriculum; other classes are divided between practical and independent work.
- Studies are conducted in cooperation with almost all the schools of higher education in Tallinn, Estonia. The students actively participate in lectures at the Baltic Film and Media School (BFM) and Tallinn University. Cooperation also takes place with the Estonian Animation Union and Estonia’s larger studios.
- The department’s instructors and lecturers are active artists and specialists in their field, whose work is regularly presented at international events.
Upon completion of the MA in Animation programme, students have acquired in-depth theoretical and practical animation skills. The students can specialise in specific animation techniques and create individual postgraduate projects in the appropriate technique. This is an international undergraduate programme, and instruction is conducted in English. After graduation, the students are qualified to realise themselves as animated film creators, or as professionals in their field, on the cultural landscape; to teach in their field or to be involved in creative industries. Students who have completed the postgraduate programme are also qualified to continue their studies and pursue a doctoral degree.
Tuition per year: 2300 EUR
- Application (submitted through Dream Apply between March 1st and May 1st)
- 50€ application fee (paid via bank transfer)
- Bachelor’s degree
- Official transcript of records (translated into Estonian, English or Russian and notarised)
- Proof of English proficiency: FCE or CAE, IELTS 5.5+ or TOEFL 70+
- Copy of the data page of your passport or ID card
- A relevant portfolio
- Essay about your Master’s thesis project or vision